PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Pro L10 boot password is not the same like in HWSetup

gbmr2
12.10.2006, 20:55
I have recently been given a Toshiba Satellite Pro L10 laptop by my employer. I entered a password and then confirmed the password again in the Toshiba HW Setup in Windows XP Control Panel. Then I clicked the Registered option. No string or password was displayed in the box under Registered.

Since then I've not been able to boot up the laptop as the password I entered in HW Setup is not recognized by the laptop at boot up. I've tried typing in the password with caps lock and num lock on also. Is there any bugs or fault with setting a boot up password in the HW Setup Utility? If there is a fault or bug I'd rather the laptop password is removed under guarantee.

Otherwise I must pay a Service Partner.

no_user
13.10.2006, 08:50
Hi,

Maybe have you a possible for a login as local admin.
Made a login as local Admin, see you under the System control User accounts and check the User Password, changed the Password.

By

Joao
13.10.2006, 10:11
Hi Geoff

On this way it is not easy to say what happen there exactly but I presume that your employer has set BIOS password. Can you enter BIOS settings using F2 button at startup?

The BIOS password removing is not part of guarantee and it must be paid. In my opinion you should bring the notebook to your employer. He has probably admin rights and he can configure passwords on right way.

gbmr2
13.10.2006, 19:11
> Hi Geoff
>
> On this way it is not easy to say what happen there
> exactly but I presume that your employer has set BIOS
> password. Can you enter BIOS settings using F2 button
> at startup?
>
> The BIOS password removing is not part of guarantee
> and it must be paid. In my opinion you should bring
> the notebook to your employer. He has probably admin
> rights and he can configure passwords on right way.

Hi

Thank you for the replies.

When I got the laptop from my employer Windows had just been reinstalled by the previous user. This gave me a clean system. After not being able to startup the laptop with the password I entered in HW Setup I started to wonder if somehow I had activated an existing Bios/registered password set by the previous user. The last user says he never set a password and my employer also says they have not set one.

It looks like I will have to send the laptop off to a Toshiba Service Partner to get the password cleared as I cannot boot the laptop up or even enter the Bios setup by pressing F2.

Regards.