PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Pro A30 - Using RAM To Improve System Graphics

santoryu
03.09.2006, 00:26
I have a Toshiba Satellite PRO A30 and i recently went to a computer fair when i learned that i could not change the graphics because it is a built in processor, but the bloke told me that i could use the RAM on my notebook (which is 1.2GB) to improve the graphics up to 128mb? is this true on this type of notebook, i have looked everywhere on the net to find out how to do it and all it say is to do it through the phoenixbios which i have attempted to do but not succeeded cause on my bios it does not give the option to change it, will i need a upgrade for my bios?

NickyNoogle
04.09.2006, 17:29
Hi Mark,

Your information is basically correct. The SA30 uses shared RAM for its graphics chip so in principle you can specify what portion of your main RAM you wish to use for this purpose. However, the ability to specify the RAM allocation is controlled by the BIOS and if the BIOS manufacturer chose to pre-select the graphics RAM value then you will not be able to change it.

I know that the Phoenix BIOS allows the RAM allocation to be specified up to 128Mb (values of 16, 32, 64 and 128), and this can also be set in the Display Properties ('advanced' tab), select the Frame Buffer option and check what is entered for the UMA value.

I believe the option in BIOS is also called UMA and appears on the second BIOS update page about half way down the screen.

regards,

Ivan25
04.09.2006, 19:35
Hello

Nicky is absolutely right. The fact is that your unit has “shared memory” graphic card. If you want to know more about that please Google a little bit and you will find a lot of pages with excellent explanation.

santoryu
04.09.2006, 19:39
Hi, thanks for the quick response, i have looked through and my display properties do not have a frame buffer option niether a UMA option on the BIOS, i take it this means the manufacturer has pre-selected the graphics RAM, could i not even change it by upgrading the BIOS?

Ivan25
04.09.2006, 20:15
Hi again

Units with ATI graphic card have this option in display properties. Units with Intel graphic card have no option to set it manually (UMA value). If you don’t find anything in BIOS I presume that it work automatically.