PDA

View Full Version : Portege 3500 loads start up files but will not setup XP

morrowmm
16.08.2006, 10:39
When I purchased this 3500 it did not have an OS.
I managed to find a PCMCIA CD-Rom (thanks to this forum) which it will recognize the Windows XP CD.
This loads the Startup files but when we get to the Windows setup it closes the computer down requesting I look for virus and do a ch disk on the HDD.
I put the HDD in my other laptop and Windows seems to go into setup with no problems.

The HDD seems to have no problems.
This has bugged me for a couple of months now so any advice from anybody will be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Martin

Mannerhagen Tom
16.08.2006, 15:07
Hi Martin

it could be that the CD Rom is not possible to use as a source for installation.
That's because Windows does not have drivers for all devices existing on the market.

Try instead to boot the machine to DOS with support for the CD Rom.
Then copy the contents of i386 to the harddrive and start the installation from that directory.

Good luck

Tom

Andrej
16.08.2006, 15:37
Hello Martin

I agree with Tom. If this method works please let me know. I want to buy older Portege too and will know if this works.

morrowmm
16.08.2006, 17:02
Hi Tom,

Thanks for answering but what sequence do I have to go through to boot to DOS and then to CD-rom drivers and the i file?
Sorry for being a bit of a nuisance.

Martin

morrowmm
16.08.2006, 17:06
Hi Andrej,

Now i need to know how to boot to DOS and then access i386.
Not very good at these things, I'm afraid.

Martin

Andrej
16.08.2006, 18:26
Hi Martin

Like you know you need MS-DOS startup start and floppy drive. Try also to make bootable CD. I didnít do it before and unfortunately can not give you exact instructions how to do this with your Portege but you can google a little bit.

I am pretty sure that you will find some article how to create bootable startup CD.

Good luck!

morrowmm
16.08.2006, 18:29
Tom,

One more thing about which I am puzzled. The computer recognises the CD-Rom because it boots from it to load the startup files which are on the Windows CD. Therefore why won't it see the CD to set up Windows when it has already accessed it to load startup?

Thanks
Martin

Mannerhagen Tom
16.08.2006, 21:11
Hi Martin

It's a bit technical. The BIOS supports booting from certain PC Card based CD Roms. The support is quite basic and provides only the possibility to boot. At some point the operating system has to take over the support of the device from the BIOS (as you might notice, I can't explain this in detail because I really don't know exactly how it works). At this point a driver is required regardless of the operating system (DOS, Win XP, Linux....whatever). If the driver is available everything is sweet. No driver - no more access to the CD Rom where the rest of the boot files and system files reside.
So from that point the connection is cut.

To respond to your DOS-disk problems. You can solve it in several ways. If you do not have the recovery CD you can google around the web a bit and I'm pretty sure you'll find a CD-image with DOS-support. This image is even probably 100% legal! Such images sometimes uses generic support for a number of devices. So it might work even with the CD that you use.

I'll google a bit myself and maybe I'll find something. If so, I'll post a link here.

Good luck

Tom

morrowmm
16.08.2006, 22:10
Hi Tom,
Realy appreciate this help.
I got hold of a Floppy all seeing, all dancing Bootdisc plus problem solver.
This boots and has to change partition to FAT but no problem. However it gets to the page where it states it is looking on the Cd for i386 and then cannot find CD in CD Rom.

I take it that to find the driver it has to access the CD but cannot without driver?
The Cd spins a bit before deciding this so there is a kind of reaction but, apparantly, not enough.
Frustrating as hell and I will quite understand if you leave off here.
You have been very helpful and I thank you.

Best regards,
Martin

Mannerhagen Tom
17.08.2006, 11:20
Hi again.

I've found something that might help you. It's not very easy but is should not prove too much of a problem either.
First go to this website : http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and download the latest build of the boot CD (which seems to be a very nice general tool by the way!).
Once downloaded, unpack it and burn the ISO-file to a blank CD Rom. You'll need a ISO-capable burning software to manage this (like Nero or other similar software).

Ok, so now you have the Ultimate Boot CD in your hand (hopefully).
Attach the external CD Rom to you P3500 and turn the P3500 on.
During the Toshiba-logo press ESC several times. You should get a message saying "Check system. Then press [F1] key."
If not - if the PC starts booting or display a boot failure message - just restart the machine and try again.

Now press the F1 key to enter the BIOS setup.
In the BIOS Setup, press HOME to set default settings, then press END to exit and confirm by pressing Y.
The machine will reboot.
When the TOSHIBA-logo is shown press F12-key a few times.
It should now stop with the boot device selection menue in the bottom.
If not - if the PC starts booting or display a boot failure message - just restart the machine and try again.

Make sure that the Boot CD is in the CD Rom and that the CD Rom is attached to your machine.
In the Boot device selection menue choose the icon that looks like a single disc (CD ROM). Get there by pressing the right or left arrows.
Mark your choice by pressing ENTER.

The machine should now boot from the boot CD Rom.
Once booted choose F6 - DOS/Linux boot disks
From the next menue choose F1 - FreeDOS boot disk

Next steps are a bit tricky because many choices you are provided are time-limited so you need to be quick - or like me, slow and have to do the same procedure over and over again to get it right.
Or! You can use the arrowkeys to abort the timer in the coloured menues! Nice to know when the limits are set really tight.

Choose no 1 from the menu which is default so if you don't choose here - it will be chosen for you.
Next you will be prompted with a kind of 'error' message that the software does not recognise the hardware (chipset). Just press ENTER.

Now the first coloured quiestion will pop up - do like described above if you need more time to think (like me) press the arrow-keys.
You can press Abort on the first one asking about ASPIUSB
Next one is important - CD-ROM.
Press Config.
In the menue that appears, choose Auto, try to detect all. Move around by using the TAB or arrow key and choose the item with SPACE.
The press Save - but you will get an error message since it is not possible to save this setting to the CD Rom. Don't worry, press OK.
Now press OK to run the CD Rom driver.
Next menue "ASPI"- press OK
Next menue "Keyboard" - press OK or press Config to pick another layout.
Next menue "DOSLFN" - Press OK
Next menue "NTFS Support" - Press OK
Last menue - Press OK

Now, finally! You have acess to both CD and HDD. The driveletters are shown at the bottom of the screen.
Next step is to insert the XP disc, copy the contents from the \i386 folder to a temp directory of the HDD and start the installation from that place.

Phew!

Good luck

Tom

morrowmm
17.08.2006, 12:26
Dear Tom,

Very many thanks for all this help. I'll print and study the whole thing, luckily have Nero software.
By the way, in case it may be needed, there are two 16bit PCMCIA cd-roms that can work with the 3500.
Toshiba PA3246u-1DVD
Targus Noteworthy NWDVD04 and 05.
Once again, very many thanks, much appreciated and I will leave the feedback (or whatever) for you on the site.

Best regards,
Martin

morrowmm
17.08.2006, 12:39
Tom,

Funnily enough, I now find I have bought a copy of the ultimate boot disc some time ago, so here goes.
points awarded.

Regards,
Martin