PDA

View Full Version : Equium L10: Issue with main battery and RTC battery

Brave
03.07.2006, 19:04
Hi

I have the Toshiba Equium L10 and it is around 14 months old and I am having problems with the battery pack and how long it lasts after a full charge. I am also having problems with the RTC battery and an ERROR 0271: Check date and time settings message when I turn on the notebook.

With regard to the battery pack, I can fully charge it up in around 3 hours but when I start to use it, it only seems to last around one and a half hours or so and it then needs to be charged again. I may have it on for around 40 minutes or so and then turn it off and come back to it later or in a day(s) or so. How long should I expect from a fully charged battery?

Regarding the RTC batttery, this is really becoming a pain and I have only started getting the ERROR 0271 message at boot time, over the last few weeks or so. I can fully charge the battery pack up and then leave it for a couple of days, but when I turn it on, I get the ERROR 0271 message about the date and time settings being incorrect. Surely after a full charge, the RTC battery should last longer than a couple of days?

The user manual states that if the RTC battery is exhausted or getting low, you should charge the RTC battery for 24 hours, but in another part of the manual it states between 24 and 48 hours, but how can you charge it for that long when the sections regarding the charging of the battery pack state that after charging the battery pack you should disconnect the AC adaptor because leaving it connected will shorten the life of the battery pack. So how can we charge the RTC battery for 24 to 48 hours if we are not supposed to leave the AC adaptor connected after the battery pack is charged - which is around three hours. Any suggestions regarding these problems, would be appreciated.

By the way we all know it's easy to change the RTC/CMOS battery in your desktop base unit, but how easy is it to change it in a Toshiba L10 Equium?

Regards

Brave0

NickyNoogle
04.07.2006, 15:48
Hi Brave0,

The normal recommendation for the CMOS (RTC) battery is to leave the notebook connected to the AC adapter for at leat 12 hours once the main battery is fully charged. The charging circuitry will divert the charge current to the RTC battery automatically and no current will be passed to your main battery.

The recommendation for not leaving the AC adapter plugged in when the main battery is fully charged is really only applicable to older notebooks which did not use Li-Ion batteries and consequently they had to be fully discharged before recharging so as to avoid any 'memory' effects in the battery.

With modern Li-Ion batteries it is quite safe to leave the battery in place when fully charged and still power the notebook from the AC adapter. The charging circuitry will not pass any charge to the battery if it is fully charged.

regards,

Juan28
04.07.2006, 15:53
Hello Brave.

No panic. Connect the AC adapter to your notebook. Let the battery charge for several hours.
(between 8-12h) After this period check the RTC battery should be full charged and the error message shouldn't appear again
Enjoy the life ;)

Brave
15.07.2006, 14:34
Hi

Many thanks for replying to my problem guys. I charged the L10 for over 12 hours and that seems to have done the trick.

Best regards

Brave