PDA

View Full Version : Equium A60 Overheating Issues - thermal paste fix

dablyz
27.06.2006, 15:41
Hi,

Recently, I have been experiencing the same overheating problems seen by many others on this forum. I even discovered this forum by looking for a fix for the problem.

**This posting is to be used as a guide only - repairs are undertaken at your own risk**

Now, my laptop is sitting beside me, idling at about 50 degrees - which is a massive improvement over the 64 degrees it was running at yesterday!

To solve this, I used the method of blowing out all of the dust from the vents (covered in numerous posts in this forum). However, I also ventured to take apart the laptop and give it a THOROUGH clean. This is quite a long, complicated process - but not beyond everyone. Firstly - I used this guide found here to disassemble the laptop - http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA65/satA65_1.htm - be careful to retain *ALL* parts removed!

Once this is completed, you will be left with the main board exposed. After this, I undid the screws holding the TFT on the hinge, and separated it from the chassis, so it was in two parts. I then carefully removed the TFT connector from its place on the motherboard. There is a tiny screw, securing an extra wire from the TFT ribbon to the chassis - I left this on, as I couldn?t remove it! Next, I removed the ribbon for the touchpad (with caution!), and carefully lifted the whole silver plastic part, right off of the chassis. Next, I disconnected the power switch from the motherboard - and completely took off the plastic part.

Now the whole heatsink assembly will be displayed. From here, it gets slightly more complicated - and involves removing your heatsink, and processor chip. If you are not willing to do this, or just think that you don?t want to fiddle around with the 'inner workings' - then have a good clean around the parts that are exposed, and replace all the parts which you have taken out. For people who are having worse overheating problems - the following steps did work for me quite well.

Exposed will be the heatsink and fan assembly. The silver screws on the metal heatsink are numbered - and I took these off sequentially. Next, I disconnected the fan power cables, and removed the screw to the far right of the large fan. The heatsink assembly should now lift clear of the chassis, exposing the processor assembly. Next, I took the processor off of the chassis. You should now have a processor, and a heatsink in front of you. On both should be a gunky, grey paste. This is known as thermal paste, and provides heat dispersion from the chip, to the heatsink. On my parts, the paste had bubbled from the heat, and shifted to the sides of the chip - away from where it was needed most. Now, I didn?t actually have any spare paste when I took it apart last night - so I got a guitar plectrum, and smoothed the paste from heatsink and chip, on to the surface of the chip. Once I covered the chip in a level amount of paste, I placed it back in the chassis, and refitted the heatsink. Finally, I replaced everything I had taken out - and the laptop powers on fine.

I realise that this might not work for everyone - I had nothing to do last night, and this was a last ditch attempt to improve the heat management of this laptop. Luckily for me it worked. I am looking into getting some thermal paste today, so that I can do a proper application of paste on to the chip before I re-assemble it again.

Obviously, if you have a warranty on the laptop, it is not a good idea to open it up, and perform this method. I only recommend people who are confident at performing this procedure to attempt it - it?s not dangerous - but you can mess up the insides of the laptop/ your processor, if you are not careful.

Good luck!

Sam

Jayjay
27.06.2006, 15:50
Hi Samuel

Firstly I would like to thank you for this very detailed and long ;) description.
But as you said if the warranty is valid the user shouldn?t open the notebook and do something. In this way the service guys should check it. Secondly if the persons have no experience in such method they shouldn?t do this because it could be possible that something different goes dead.
However thanks again.

dablyz
27.06.2006, 15:57
Thanks for the kudos.

Yes - just to re-illiterate - Do Not attempt this procedure if you do not feel confident, or have no experience. If in any doubt, find your nearest Toshiba service centre, and take it there. There is a potential to cause damage to the laptop if you do something wrong whilst having the chassis open.
Also, if the laptop is still under warrenty opening the cover and performing this procedure will void the warrenty

Mike30
27.06.2006, 16:05
Hello Samuel

Nice topic!!! I hope that you will post in the future and help other users.
Welcome to our community!!!