PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Pro 6100: HDD not recognised - IDE #0 error

pico5019
20.05.2006, 06:38
I have just replaced a faulty MK4019GAX HDD in my Satellite Pro 6100 with a MK4026GAX and have been trying to install XP Home. I can't get the computer to recognise the hard disc.

When I boot I get an IDE #0 ERROR message before the Windows Setup and then a message saying that any third party SCSI drivers should be installed first. (I am booting with the Windows disc in the drive) then when it gets to the end of of its installation processes a message say that "set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in you computer".

If I boot without the Windows I get PXE-E61 Media test failure.

When I go into the BIOS (ACPI BIOS version 1.90), under peripherals "Hard Disk Mode = No Used" I can't get into it to change and there's nowhere else that seems related to the Hard disk (apart from the boot priority section).

I read on a forum somewhere that there could be problems in getting the BIOS to recognise a new HDD.

Is this a common problem for this model, or is the new Hard disc likely to be faulty?
Is there a work-around or solution?

Assistance hopefully sought.

DM

R2D2
22.05.2006, 10:01
Hi

This error message says that the HDD drive was not correct recognized. The fact is that this unit uses an ordinary IDE (ATA-5) interface and the new HDD supports this interface.
In this case I assume the HDD was not correctly installed. Try to remove the HDD and check the connections.
The other possibility is that the HDD controller is dead.
In this case the service partner should check the notebook.