PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Pro M70: Configfree and Wlan with WEP issue.

PietV
26.02.2006, 19:47
I have a Satellite pro M70. With Configfree (v5.90.07), I can connect to the wireless network (with SSID) from my router and go to internet. But when I put a WEP-key in the router, then I can't connect anymore.
With Configfree, Wireless Lan, I still can see the network (with SSID name, etc) and I see that the network is secured. But I can't connect to the network anymore. This because the notebook adapter (Intel 2200BG) doesn’t have the WEP-key. My question is: How can I set the WEP-key in Configfree?? (Different Key's by different profiles.)

(Trying in solving the problem I've downloaded the newest Intel-drivers and IntelPROSET Wireless. That program direct asked for the WEP-key and made a connection without a problem. Now with Configfree, Wireless LAN I see also a connection (WEP-secured). But the rest of the Configfree-program doesn't work anymore (CFMain.exe problem). I read in another topic that this is caused by the Intel-program. You have to remove this to solve the Configfree problem. So this wasn’t the solution.)

My question is: How can I set the WEP-key in Configfree?? (Different Key's by different profiles.)

Juan28
27.02.2006, 11:26
Hi

First of all the Toshiba Configfree program is not configuration software for WLan.
This program you can use for the diagnostic procedure and it shows you the connection properties. But it’s not possible to set any encryptions with the Configfree.
It seems that the IntelProset utility has a bad influence on the Configfree. The problem is that Toshiba doesn’t support any 3rd party applications.

Furthermore if this WLan card doesn’t support the WEP encryption so you can not use it.
The WEP encryptions you can only set in the WLan card properties.
You also use the 3rd party WLan application likes IntelProset or Atheros utility to configure the WLan but the encryption depends on the WLan card not on the utility!

PietV
28.02.2006, 19:23
Thank you for your quick answer.
Hereby my comments on the reply:

> First of all the Toshiba Configfree program is not
> configuration software for WLan.
> This program you can use for the diagnostic procedure
> and it shows you the connection properties. But it’s
> not possible to set any encryptions with the
> Configfree.

I've the Dutch-version of Configfree but I read on this link (for an other Satellite):
http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--cdgenp01csdtoshibacom-content-support-manualserguides-su1035805-satellitea80-a85ug200505y11pdf&sliceId=pdfPage_226&dialogID=5328134&stateId=1%200%205326491
on page 226&227 that “you can set the SSID and WEPinformation”. But in my Configfree (Dutch version 5.70.09) this isn't possible. Has someone experience with one or the other.

> Furthermore if this WLan card doesn’t support the WEP
> encryption so you can not use it.
> The WEP encryptions you can only set in the WLan card
> properties.
> You also use the 3rd party WLan application likes
> s IntelProset or Atheros utility to configure the
> WLan but the encryption depends on the WLan card not
> on the utility!

The WLan card (Intel 2200BG) does support WEP. I wrote: "That program (IntelPROSET Wireless) direct asked for the WEP-key and made a connection without a problem. Now with Configfree, Wireless LAN, I see also a connection (WEP-secured)."
I read in different topics that other users have problems with the Intel 2200BG adapter. I don't have a problem at all. The connection to my NETGEAR router is and stays perfect.
My question stays: Has someone experience with setting WEP in the Configfree program?

R2D2
28.02.2006, 23:26
Hi

I agree with Juan; the Conigfree is only a diagnostic utility. You can see the encryptions and other Wlan properties but you can not set any encryptions

vellu
01.03.2006, 18:57
You cannot use ConfigFree and Intel Proset software same time. Just install newest drivers and use windows to manage wlan connections....

Jeffrey
02.03.2006, 10:21
Hi

I have found a very useful Toshiba document about the ConfigFree. There you can find the detailed information abut this Toshiba tool:

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/Contents/Toshiba_teg/EU/WHITEPAPER/files/FEA-2005-02-ConfigFree-EN.pdf

PietV
15.03.2006, 13:04
I found the solution:
First, I removed the IntelPROSET Wireless (NOT the new drivers).
After reboot, I started Configfree and again I tried to connect the router with the notebook.
Now Configfree directly opens a new window (Wireless Settings screen) where you can submit the WEP-key from the router.
Problem solved!!
Thank you for your answers.

Jeffrey
15.03.2006, 13:25
Hi

Thanks for the feedback.
It’s useful for another user.

regards