PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Pro A10 won't boot (HDD seems to be missing)

scl
29.01.2006, 12:50
Hello, I hope someone can give me some advice on this problem: I have a 2 year old Satellite Pro A10. Recently it won't boot at all and I notice that if i look at the directories in the C: drive using the command prompt it says 'file not found'. Can't start Windows at all, not even in Safe Mode.
Using the recovery disks doesn't help either I get messages like No such fixed Disk and 'Extraction Failed'.
does this mean I have:
1 A damaged hard disk
2. Faulty connections to the HDD? - if so how do I rectify this?

the system didn't crash before this happened, it failed to load up when I started it.
Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Scl

Jeffrey
30.01.2006, 16:34
Hi

Well, it could be a HDD hardware malfunction. Yes, itís possible. But I donít think that there is a faulty connection. You have used this HDD during the last 2 years and you donít change any connections settings on this HDD. Is it right?
If itís possible so I suggest to format completely the HDD.
Then try to start the recovery procedure again.

Nevertheless if the HDD has a malfunction,(ie. head crash) so the only way is to replace this device.

Ivan25
30.01.2006, 16:45
Hello

I agree with Jeffrey. I am also pretty sure that HDD is defective.
Possibility that HDD connectors are defective is very lowly.

jmatthews
24.02.2006, 15:52
Jeffery and Ivan25 are correct in HDD malfunction. Try and remove and reattach the HDD and see if BIOS sees the HDD. If not you are going to need to order a replacement HDD. If BIOS does not even see the HDD then you wont even be able to install any Operating system, because there is logically nowhere to store the data being copied.

Take it to an Authorized service provider near you to have it checked out. Could also very well be the HDD Controller on the Motherboard has went bad and can not detect any HDD connected to the motherboard even if it is new and unused.