PDA

View Full Version : Satellite SP6000 - Crash with colored stripes on screen

superberti
25.01.2006, 17:57
Hi!

I have a Satellite Pro 6000 and it worked good for more than two years. But in the last two months the laptop crashed from time to time with a distored screen out of flickering colored stripes. After that it takes some time to get it work again. XP Pro is fresh installed from the recovery CD's . Unfortunately it looks like a hardware problem. An external monitor shows the same distorted screen. I don't think that it gets too hot and the fan is working and blowing out warm air.
It is out of guarantee now and I don't want to spend much money on a repair task.
So, any suggestions for me? I don't fear opening and replacing/repairing some parts of it but it would be great to get some tips about a possible reason for this.

Thanks in advance and bye,

superberti

stevema1964
25.01.2006, 18:38
hi, here at my work we have SP6000's and SP6100's.
It's an overheat problem, try ensuring fans and heatsint fins are dust free. If that doesnt work its a motherboard replacement :-(

Regards
Steve

[Edited by: admin]

superberti
27.01.2006, 13:13
Hi,

> hi, here at my work we have SP6000's and SP6100's.
> It's an overheat problem, try ensuring fans and
> heatsint fins are dust free. If that doesnt work its
> a motherboard replacement :-(

I checked the fan and the heatsink fins. I can't see there very much dust. And the fan is properly working.
I googled around and I read that this problem can result from broken power connectors on the motherboard. Has anybody here experiences with this kind of problem?

Bye,

superberti

R2D2
27.01.2006, 21:39
Hi

Off course, it could be malfunction of motherboard or power connectors.
But to be 100% sure you should contact the ASP because he can make some diagnostic test and then he can give you a exactly answer about the fault.

specman
30.01.2006, 14:14
This is almost certainly due to faulty memory modules. How much memory do you have fitted?

This laptop does not have any memory fitted on the MB, the graphics card shares 16MB of the memory fitted in the 2 slots provided. If you have 2 modules fitted, remove the module from socket A and then remove the module from B socket and fit into socket A. Leave the other module out and try the laptop again to see if the problem has gone away.

I have had this before and if the memory in slot / socket A is really bad it will prevent the laptop from booting up.

superberti
30.01.2006, 17:33
Hi!

> This is almost certainly due to faulty memory
> modules. How much memory do you have fitted?
>

512 MB on two modules.

> This laptop does not have any memory fitted on the
> MB, the graphics card shares 16MB of the memory
> fitted in the 2 slots provided. If you have 2 modules
> fitted, remove the module from socket A and then
> remove the module from B socket and fit into socket
> A. Leave the other module out and try the laptop
> again to see if the problem has gone away.
>

I'll give it a try. Although these two modules worked good for over two years.
Would be better than the motherboard ;-)

Thanks and bye,

superberti